This event is traditionally the biggest night in Hedon’s annual calendar. This year looks likely to be the same with the town’s main streets being opened for 28 festive street stalls stretching from the Queen’s Head to the Market Place, carol singers and music. Fairground rides this year will be located at the back of the Queen’s Head pub.
Jaimie-Leigh Smithson – Hedon’s 12-year-old singing sensation fresh from the National Open Mic UK talent competition, will be giving a performance by special invitation of the Hedon Mayor, Councillor Jim Lindop.
This year there will be an opportunity to come and see real Christmas reindeer whose visit to Hedon has been paid for by Vivergo Fuels.
The local shops tend to stay open for the night and quite often put on something special – and the window displays are an attraction in themselves!
If your business is doing something for the Christmas switch-on – let us know and we’ll give you a plug on this page
- Letters to Santa! Before you come to the lights, make sure you write or drop your letter off to Santa at the Hedon Customer Service Centre.
- Refreshments from 6.00pm including coffee, tea, biscuits, cake will be served in the Alexandra Hall, featuring Magic Man MR. MORLEY a Family Entertainer – organised by the Christian Life Church.
- SANTA’S SLEIGH (courtesy of charity fundraisers the Holderness Lions) will be in Hedon tonight from 5pm.
- New business The Potters Cabin will preview what they will be doing at the former Taste delicatessen, 14 Market Place.
- Join Rings ‘n’ Things on Watmough’s Arcade for Christmas Lights free wine and mince pies!
Thanks to Jim Lindop for providing the following list of businesses open on Christmas Lights night (note links provided by Editor):
- Hedon Dry Cleaners hot choc and nibbles
- Jane Brooks Law mince pies and wine
- HSBC Bank hot drinks mince pies tombola
- Rolling Pin pies peas turkey pork sandwiches jack potatoes cakes
- Nutmegs full menu
- Hedon Inks and Toners cookies and wine
- East Riding Pharmacy orange juice and mince pies
Buses: Service 277 will divert via New Road and Hull Road to Saltend, then Staithes Road to Preston between 4.30pm-9.30pm.