CAR PARKING – the lack of spaces, illegal parking, where to park, charging or not – seems to be one of those issues that is certain to get the blood boiling of people in Hedon!
The Hedon Blog wants to open up a constructive debate on car parking in Hedon with a view to being able to pass on suggestions, ideas and views to the East Riding Council and other decision-makers.
The first part of this is to IDENTIFY THE PROBLEMS.
What are the car-parking issues in the town? Hedon Blog readers have over the last 36 months identified the following areas as ‘hotspots’ that have parking issues:
Town Centre parking Particularly on St Augustine’s Gate and Market Place. Market Hill especially parking problems for visitors to the nursery and doctors surgeries. Inmans Primary School particularly during the school run.
At each location the problems seem to fall into these areas of concern:
- The problems with getting a space.
- Problem of illegal parking. Enforcement is not working.
- Enforcement is too heavy-handed; it just transfers the problem to somewhere else.
- The impact on service providers, traders and local businesses if customers, workers and visitors can not park conveniently and safely.
- Too many double yellow lines / not enough double yellow lines.
Have we covered all the ‘hotspots’ problem areas and issues? Probably not! So please do give us your comments directly on the blog or e-mail us at email@example.com with your experiences.
Note: This is the first in a series of articles about this issue. From this debate we hope to be able to provide decision-makers with some opportunities to learn from direct-feedback – congratulations as well as complaints – and consider what works and what might need improvement.