LOOKING for something on the Hedon Blog? Quite often your first step is to search using the Search facility (currently located at the top right of the Blog), however, this doesn’t always bring up what you are looking for.
Try using the box to search for History.
Now click on one of the articles that you find of interest – I clicked on From Racing to Flying! – History of the Hedon Aerodrome site from July 2012. After you’ve read your chosen article, then look at the bottom of the article. At the end of each posting are two sets of links; Categories – help to give each article its context, and Tags helps internet search engines like Google to find Hedon Blog articles.
In our example I clicked History once again. This brought up a far more relevant and recent list of postings than through Search. I then clicked on Hedon – The Battle of Waterloo – Letters written on the way to the battlefield which reminded me that I hadn’t visited Hedon Museum to see the historical letters! I then clicked on the Tag Hedon Museum to remind myself what else was on there.
There are some really interesting Categories and Tags to search. Try these popular ones:
- Council News – Mostly news from Hedon Town Council, but occasionally from the East Riding too
- Humberside Police – Some of the most popular posts on the Blog and most widely shared are those contained within this category
- Ripley’s Reminiscences – Includes old photographs of people and places in the town sent in by Hedon-born Malc Ripley
- Health Watch – These are health related posts and this category pre-dates the organisation of the same name
- Gallery – Contains some collections of photographs about all manner of issues and subjects
- Weird – Some unusual articles that are worth labelling ‘weird’. Surprisingly (!) there are not many of these – perhaps we’re not such a strange town after all!? 🙂