Home » Reporting the Smells

COMPLAINTS ABOUT BAD SMELLS in the area, presumably emanating from Yorkshire Water’s Waste Water facility at Saltend, have increased over the last 3 weeks.

The recent dry weather has undoubtedly made the odour situation worse, but local people will also be heartened about the raised publicity about this recurring – albeit improving – problem. This will have encouraged more people to complain rather than just live with the smells!

Yorkshire Water - complaints last week

The Yorkshire Water web-page Hull and Saltend News has been updated with odour complaint reports for the first time since March this year, and has logged 14 complaints from 14th June to 4th July 2010.

This post outlines some of the ways that you might like to report any experiences of bad smells. With each method you should record your location and the time of the experience.

1. The Yorkshire Water Customer Helpline is 0845 1 24 24 24. Their postal address for complaints is:

Yorkshire Water
PO Box 52

Email: contact_us@yorkshirewater.com


2. East Riding Council list the methods to contact them on their Compliments and Complaints web-page. This includes:

Environmental control
Public protection
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
HU17 9BA

Tel: 01482 396301

Email: air.quality@eastriding.gov.uk

Also of interest will be the Council’s  Air Pollution Section Website.


3. If you smell an odour at home (or know your location precisely when you experienced the bad smell) then you can also use FixMyStreet to report odours.


4. You could contact your local East Riding Councillors or indeed your Hedon Town Councillors all of whom would be able to act on your behalf.

1 thought on “Reporting the Smells

Leave a comment. You need to leave your FULL NAME.