DISAPPOINTMENT has been expressed by Hedon Town Council at the decision to grant planning permission for a controversial new Care Home complex on Magdalen Lane.
Hedon Town Council Planning Committee met last Thursday (8th November 2012) and expressed their disappointment that planning permission had been granted for the construction of two care home buildings on Magdalen Lane. This was despite objections from Hedon Town Council who, whilst recognising the need for more care homes, had feared the increased flooding risks and traffic that this particular scheme might engender.
Hedon Town Councillor and East Riding Ward Councillor John Dennis came in for particular criticism for speaking in favour of the scheme at the East Riding Council planning meeting which granted permission. Councillor Dennis had said that the development would bring important facilities, investment and jobs into the area and urged the East Riding Planning Committee to support the scheme. He said that as an East Riding councillor he had to represent the whole of the South West Holderness Ward and the opinions of local people had been clearly in favour of the Care Home.
Councillor Ann Suggit disagreed and said local opinion was against the scheme particularly because of the flooding risk issues and thought it “disgraceful” that Councillor Dennis “had pushed this issue through against the wishes of Hedon Town Council”. Councillor Dennis responded that as a Ward Councillor he had the right to an opinion on local issues and had “spoken on behalf of what he thought local opinion was”.
The planning application is for the construction of two buildings for use as a 54 bedroom care home with 5 assisted living apartments, and a 30 bedroom dementia care home.
Hedon Town Council noted the decision to grant permission to build the care homes and will ensure that the conditions imposed on the planning agreement are upheld and enforced rigorously to prevent any adverse flooding risk.