Home » From Racing to Flying! – History of the Hedon Aerodrome site

From Racing to Flying! – History of the Hedon Aerodrome site

Amy Johnson

HEDON MUSEUM showcases the Hedon Racecourse and Aerodrome in its latest exhibition.

The Racecourse, located between Saltend and Hedon,  was opened in 1888 and served by its own railway station which brought hundreds of visitors every race day. Apparently at the time it had one of the longest ‘straights’ in the country. After 10-12 years the popularity of the Races waned and racing had stopped by 1909-10 and the railway station closed. But that long stretch of land became attractive to enthusiasts of a new craze that was sweeping the country at that time – flying!

Hedon Aerodrome operated in the years before the first world war and then opened again after the war. The land was purchased by Hull Council in 1929 and opened by Prince George, Duke of Kent as Hull Municipal Aerodrome. A year later on 11th August 1930, in the biggest ever attraction at the site, Amy Johnson the famous aviator from Hull landed at the airfield.

Aeroplanes were built at the site in 1931 by the Civilian company and one of the five aircraft constructed is pictured here on its public maiden flight from Hedon. And the aircraft still flies today and is hangared at Biggin Hill airport!

For the definitive history of the airfield – and of the flying aces and other characters associated with that history – then visit Hedon Museum.

The Museum is open every Saturday and Wednesday from 10am – 4pm and the current exhibition is open until its last day (now extended until) Saturday 11th August 18th August 2012.

Visit: Hedon Museum

3 thoughts on “From Racing to Flying! – History of the Hedon Aerodrome site

  1. I think it’s quite timely to look back at the history of Hedon Aerodrome – actually Hull Municipal Aerodrome – see the above article from July 2012. Please note – the exhibition referred to, took place in 2012.

Leave a comment. You need to leave your FULL NAME.