THIS PHOTO OF THE DAY #17 is of the weather vane that sits atop the Hedon Town Hall building.
In 1692 – 330 years ago – work began on building Hedon Town Hall. It was built in St. Augustine’s Gate by Henry Guy the MP for Hedon. It was given to Hedon Corporation by him in 1693. Guy was also Secretary to the Treasury in William III’s first government.
The Town Hall has Guy’s coat of arms over the door and on the top of the building is a replica weather vane inscribed with his initials “H.G. 1692”. The original weather vane is normally on display on the staircase in the Town Hall.
This is Hedon Blog’s Photo of the Day feature. Any recent photos with significance to the local South West Holderness area. Send to email@example.com mark the subject ‘Photo of the Day’ and explain the local significance of your photo.
Interested in Photo of the Day? Then check out Hedon Viewfinders Photography Club – Free, Fun and Friendly!