LAMBERT HOUSE on Sheriff Highway was built sometime between 1830 and 1840, but it was as the home of Colonel William Lambert White (1849 – 1929) in the 1880′s that the house acquired its current name. The Colonel gained his title through service as a soldier in the local citizen army volunteer force. He also served on Hedon Corporation and became Mayor three times.
During Colonel White’s occupancy he built a room almost entirely of church stones complete with gargoyles and other pieces of church masonry. Some of these may have come from stones displaced from St Augustines Church during repairs being carried out there.
The present owners of Lambert House are B.P. Chemicals and they have restored the house to its former glory. It is now used as accommodation for guests visiting its Saltend site.
The following photograph revealing the immaculate interior of the Lambert House ‘church stone’ room has been kindly supplied by freelance photographer Neil Holmes.