Home » A potted history of Hedon

A potted history of Hedon

This potted history has been compiled by Dr. Martin Craven. Martin is a Freeman of Hedon, and a representative of Hedon Museum Society…

Hedon Town Hall logo web sq
Borough logo on Hedon Town Hall

This potted history has been compiled by Dr. Martin Craven and we thank him for sending it to the Hedon Blog. Martin is a Freeman of Hedon, and a representative of Hedon Museum Society (links are to Hedon Blog articles):

Significant Year    
c.1130   Hedon founded by William le Gros, earl of Aumale in Normandy and lord of Holderness.
1153-54   Hedon becomes a royal mint town producing silver pennies of King Stephen.
1154-89   During the reign of Henry II, William le Gros receives Hedon’s first royal charter on behalf of the burgesses.
 c. 1180   Building work begins on St. Augustine’s Church.
 1200   King John grants a confirming charter to the lord on behalf of Hedon’s burgesses.
 1295   Edward I calls a parliament. As a royal borough, Hedon sends Stephen de Burton and Richard Civis to represent the burgesses.
 1348   Edward III grants the ‘Great Charter’ to Hedon. Hedon becomes self-governing with a Mayor, Bailiffs, Coroner and ‘other fit officers’.
 1351   William Cleeve, the first known Mayor of Hedon.
 1415    Henry V grants a confirming royal charter to Hedon. He presents the small mace to Hedon, now regarded as the oldest civic mace in England.
 1427-37   The tower of St. Augustine’s Church is built.
 1547   Edward VI calls a parliament. from this time Hedon regularly sends two burgesses (freemen) to Westminster.
 1562   George Painter wills three cottages in Souttergate for the use of poor widows in Hedon.
 1669   Henry Guy, one of Hedon’s MPs, presents the Corporation of Hedon with the Great Mace.
 1692-93   Henry Guy has the Town Hall built in St. Augustine’s Gate.
 1705   William Pultenay first elected a member for Hedon. He served the Borough for 23 years and eventually was created earl of Bath and Baron Hedon.
 1774   Act of Parliament passed for improving port facilities at the Hedon Haven. It places control in the hands of elected Commissioners.
 1795   The Holderness Agricultural Society founded at Hedon.
 1812   The Hedon MPs donate money towards the building of Alms Houses, known as Burgess Square in Baxtergate.
 1825   The Mayor, Dr. George Sawyer, has the houses and shops built on the east side of Market Place. Swinegate is renamed George Street after him.
 1832   Hedon is declared ‘a rotten Borough’ and loses its right to send members to parliament.
 1860   The Borough Improvement Act is passed. The old Corporation is replaced by 3 aldermen and nine town councillors, all elected periodically by residents.
 1870   Dr. William Kirk becomes the first man, not being a freeman of Hedon, to serve as Mayor.
 1974   Hedon loses its borough status and becomes a town. It retains the Town Hall, the Civic Silver and the offices of Mayor, Town Councillors, Town Clerk and Sergeant at Mace.

Leave a comment. You need to leave your FULL NAME.