Home » Yorkshire Water: Reporting smells from the Waste Water Treatment Works!

Yorkshire Water: Reporting smells from the Waste Water Treatment Works!


There are two phone numbers that those with concerns about odours should note:

  1. If you wish to meet a council officer to discuss a specific odour complaint, a meeting can be arranged at your home, at the source of any odour, or at the Hedon Customer Service Centre by contacting 01482 396176.
  2. If you wish to make a general complaint about a problem odour then contact 01482 396 301.

To report any problem odour affecting your home/work or in street it is very important that you give your full name address and telephone number, exact date, time, duration and location that you have been affected.


SMELLS from Yorkshire Water’s Waste Water facility at Saltend did become a fact of life for those living in and around the Hedon area. The Hedon Blog has tried to cover the major incidents and events.

A PETITION calling for the odours to be dealt with as a statutory nuisance by local councils was signed by 2,405 people in 2011. You can catch up with all the campaign news at Yorkshire Water Smells.

THIS ARTICLE outlines some of the ways that you might like to report any experiences of bad smells. With each method you should record your location and the time of the experience.

1. The Yorkshire Water Customer Helpline is 0845 1 24 24 24. Their postal address for complaints is:

Yorkshire Water
PO Box 52

Email Contact Form: www.yorkshirewater.com/youraccount and look for Email us on the left-hand side of the website.

Website: Hull and Saltend News


2. East Riding Council list the methods to contact them on their Compliments and Complaints web-page. This includes:

Environmental control
Public protection
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
HU17 9BA

Tel: 01482 396301

Email: air.quality@eastriding.gov.uk

They have a specific web-page relating to the Saltend Works: Environmental Control Section: Saltend – YW WwTW

Also of interest will be the Council’s  Air Pollution Section Website.


3. If you smell an odour at home (or know your location precisely when you experienced the bad smell) then you can also use FixMyStreet to report odours.


4. You could contact your local East Riding Councillors or indeed your Hedon Town Councillors all of whom would be able to act on your behalf.

Whilst we are all quite right to complain about the the smells, the Treatment Works does actually play a beneficial role. Find out more from Yorkshire Water’s Virtual Tour.

Also this video of Mary and Edna’s U-Bend tour provides an insight:

3 thoughts on “Yorkshire Water: Reporting smells from the Waste Water Treatment Works!

Comments are closed.