Free compost giveaways run by the East Riding of Yorkshire Council will be back in May 2022.
Eight giveaway events will be held across the area between Monday 9 May and Saturday 21 May, where around 5,000 bags of compost will be handed out for free to local residents. This includes one in Preston on Monday 9 May at 4.30pm at Holderness Academy.
Residents are invited to drive along to their nearest event, where two 15kg bags of compost will be placed into each of their car boots.
As always, the compost being given away will be made directly from the garden and food waste which East Riding residents recycle in their brown bins.
The scheme has been running for a number of years and returned in September 2021 after a Covid break. All events will still be Covid-safe and residents are asked to stay in their vehicles.
Cllr Chris Matthews, the council’s portfolio holder for environment and climate change, said: “Compost giveaways are really important because they are the council’s way of giving back to residents and thanking them for continuing to recycle. The East Riding is still one of the top areas in the country for recycling and that’s down to the fantastic efforts of residents.”
Brown bins can be used to recycle grass cuttings, hedge trimmings, small branches, leaves, flowers and weeds, all cooked and uncooked food, peelings, plate scrapings, bones, bread, meat, eggshells and small amounts of soups, sauces and gravies – all of it gets collected and then transformed into compost. The compost is best used as a soil improver.
Free compost giveaways will take place on the following dates:
- Monday 9 May, 4.30pm – Preston, Holderness Academy and Sixth Form College, Station Road, HU12 8UZ
- Tues 10 May, 4pm – Hornsea, Broadway Car Park, HU18 1PZ
- Wednesday 11 May, 4pm – Goole, West Park, DN14 6UU
- Thursday 12 May, 4pm – Withernsea, Pavilion Car Park, Station Road, HU19 2QA
- Saturday 14 May, 10am – Carnaby, council depot, Carnaby Industrial Estate, Lancaster Road, YO15 3QY
- Monday 16 May, 4pm – Pocklington, Wolds Gliding Club, Hodsow Lane, YO42 1NP
- Friday 20 May, 4pm – Driffield, Driffield Showground, Kelleythorpe, YO25 9DN.
- Saturday 21 May, 10am – Beverley, Beverley council depot, Annie Reed Road, off Grovehill Road and Beck View Road, HU17 0LF
Residents are asked not to queue at the venues beforehand or they may be turned away for safety reasons. This video published by ERYC of last year’s Driffield compost giveaway lets drivers know what to expect: https://youtu.be/_8GyiKIxnLo.