For the first time ever, East Riding of Yorkshire Council is to hold a second round of free compost giveaways for East Riding residents.
The council will be handing out another 5,000 bags of compost during September 2019, following the success of the regular, annual giveaways which are held in May.
Eight events will held starting in Beverley on Saturday 14 September, and continuing in Preston, Goole, Withernsea, Hornsea, Carnaby, Pocklington and Driffield.
As usual, residents are invited to go along in their cars to collect two free 15kg bags of compost.
Cllr Chris Matthews, the council’s portfolio holder for strategic management, said: “These autumn giveaways are an extra little thank you to residents for their continued efforts in making the East Riding the country’s top recycler.”
As always, all the compost being given away has been recycled from the food and garden waste East Riding residents put into their brown bins. All cooked and uncooked food, peelings, plate scrapings, bones, meat, egg shells, grass cuttings, hedge trimmings, small branches, leaves, flowers and weeds can all be placed in brown bins, and all the waste gets recycled into quality compost.
The compost giveaways will be held on the following dates – please note the differing times for each venue:
- Saturday 14 September 10am – Beverley, Beverley council depot, Annie Reed Road, off Grovehill Road and Beck View Road, HU17 0LF
- Monday 16 September 5pm – Preston, Holderness Academy & Sixth Form College, Station Road, HU12 8UZ
- Wednesday 18 September 4pm – Goole, West Park, DN14 6UU
- Thursday 19 September 4pm – Withernsea, Pavilion Car Park next to East Riding Leisure Withernsea, Station Road, HU19 2QA
- Friday 20 September 4pm – Hornsea, Broadway Car Park, HU18 1PZ
- Saturday 21 September 10am – Carnaby, council depot, Carnaby Industrial Estate, Lancaster Road YO15 3QY
- Tuesday 24 September 5pm – Pocklington, Wolds Gliding Club, Hodsow Lane, YO42 1NP
- Friday 27 September 4pm – Driffield, Driffield Showground, Kelleythorpe, YO25 9DN.
The giveaways will end when all the bags have been handed out on a first come, first served basis.
NOTE: Residents are asked not to queue at the venues beforehand for safety reasons.